This page answers common questions related to ordering. For WARRANTY, LEAD TIME, TERMS, CANCELLATION POLICY, & RETURNS, please click CUSTOMER SERVICE.
We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, Affirm Financing, check, cash, money order, cashiers check, or a good saddle horse. Okay, maybe not a horse, but the rest of them will do. Hay prices are up these days.
PayPal is not accepted.
Orders of standard products (as listed in our current online product listings): 100% payment due at time of ordering.
Custom Orders: 50% down to start the work, and 100% due before product shipment.
We produce orders in line according to payment date so remember to call with your payment early, especially during the peak summer season.
You can shop at Western Spindle online with confidence. We have partnered with Authorize.Net, a leading payment gateway since 1996, to offer safe and secure credit card and electronic check transactions for our customers.
Technical Stuff: The Authorize.Net Payment Gateway manages the complex routing of sensitive customer information through the credit card and electronic check processing networks. The company adheres to strict industry standards for payment processing, including:
- 128-bit Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology for secure Internet Protocol (IP) transactions.
- Industry leading encryption hardware and software methods and security protocols to protect customer information.
- Compliance with the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard, with routine audits to ensure that our entire system is completely secure.
Western Spindle is registered with the Authorize.Net Verified Merchant Seal program.
How do I care for my millwork when it arrives?
- Always keep in mind that your new millwork is good old fashioned natural wood and needs to be handled accordingly.
- Although we use only "dried" wood, it still contains between 5% and 20% moisture. All woods eventually assume the moisture of the environment in which they are stored. Problems arise when the moisture content changes too quickly. Protect it from very wet or (especially) very dry environments.
- Never store unpainted millwork in direct sunlight, even for a few hours. This will invariably dry the wood rapidly which causes checking (small cracks between the grain). In extreme cases it can cause splitting.
What type of hardware should I use when I build?
We recommend using only high quality, exterior grade coated steel hardware for your porch. These products will resist rust, corrosion, staining, discoloration, and bleeding. You’ve invested the time, money, and energy in seeking the absolute best solid wood products from Western Spindle; take care with the building phase and make the most of that beautiful porch.
Save a trip to the hardware store! Click HARDWARE to purchase from our online store. Buy your hardware with the rest of your porch products and save on shipping.
What types of finishes should I use on my new millwork?
- Always use high quality oil-based primers and paints (or stains and top coats as your project may entail) on all surfaces, including ends.
- Do not neglect the ends of your millwork. The end grain gains and loses moisture more readily than the side of the grain and needs to be protected. If you plan on putting a top coat on after the project is put together, then make sure to apply the primer before building.
- Go to your local professional paint store for the best advice and products. These types of places often have more knowledgeable help and higher end products than the big box stores. You will pay a little more than you would at the big home improvement centers but a little extra investment up front will pay off in the decades to come.
Use this Spindle Height Calculator to determine the length of spindle you need. The "Toe Space" is the space from the porch floor to the underside of the bottom rail. This is typically between 3 and 4 inches.
How long will my order take? (estimated, not guaranteed)
Standard unprimed wood products : Usually ships within 2-5 business days.
Standard PRIMED wood products: Usually ships within 6-10 business days.
Standard polyurethane products: Usually ships in 15 business days.
Standard Coumns: Usually ships in 15 business days.
Custom products: Estimated shipping date will be provided with your materials estimate. Custom products commonly take 4 weeks for production.
How long does shipping take?